There is a very famous saying about ignorance and here it goes “When the true meaning of something is not known, abuse is inevitable”.
It is on this premise that I say because we do not know the meaning of putting on rings on specific fingers, we don’t mind how this is interpreted and what it says about us.
Now this article I a little about the meaning of each finger and what it means to have a ring or two rings on them.
Sometimes we just prefer to have rings on our fingers. Some of these rings are designer rings, others are signature rings, some are cultural and for numerous other purposes.
What ever your purpose of wearing a ring is, please be sure that rings allows you make statements about yourself without actually saying any word.
A ring can tell if your not available (married), another ring can expose you belong to a cult, another yet again can tell you attended an Army Academy or a member of a great circle of elites.
These are the names of your five fingers;
1. The Thumb
2. The Index/ pointer finger
3. The Middle finger
4. The Ring finger and
5. The Pinky finger
Please note: all these names are the same in both hands. The majoy difference is when you need to call it the left or right thumb/middle/pinky finger.
The meaning of each finger; while alot of people have placed different views of what these fingers mean, I would like to share the most generally accepted meaning.
1. The thumb which is fatest and mostly the shortest finger signifies “WILLPOWER” which is the unwavering strength of “will” to carry out one’s wishes.
2. Index finger which is also known as the pointer finger is used to point towards a specific directions. Because of this pointing quality of the index finger it signifies “LEADERSHIP”. A leader has a capacity to lead, to direct.
3. The middle finger signifies “INDIVIDUALITY”. It stands alone and thereby posseses the a distinct quality. No wonder this finger can tell so much about an individual.
4. The Ring finger is by far the most popular finger as it’s name implies, it is known to be the recipient for wedding rings. This means “AFFECTION”. Ofcourse affection goes with weddings and marriage vows.
5. The Pinky finger or the little finger, also known as the fifth digit, or pinkie means “BONDING”. This is probably because, it is the closest between partners walking together who decide to reach for each others hands quietly. It helps to bond.
Now let’s look at what it means to have rings on these fingers;
the most popular of all fingers is the ring fingers which symbolises a married person. It is not enough to wear rings because you can afford them or because they are beautiful. You should know that Each finger brings with it a different meaning.
Now that we understand what each finger symbolizes, lets know where to wear each ring. These reasons to be stated might apply to some geographical areas and not in others but this seem to be the most widely accepted reasons.
1. PINKY FINGER; the pinky helps to reveal if one has been married before. Two rings on the pinky finger whether right or left signifies a man was once married before where the first ring was the wedding ring and the signet ring follows. This was popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
A ring on the pinky finger signifies being a mafian in some cultures. Also, Note that a ring on the pinky fingers by men mostly signifies family and status.
2. THE RING FINGER; the left ring finger signifies marriage, betrothal and romance.
Marital status; a ring on the left ring finger in most cultures and countries mean the individual is married.
This is believed this to have started from the Roman custom. The ancient Roman culture believes blood flows directly from the left ring finger to the heart.
although the left ring finger is preserved for this purpose but in some countries like Germany, Russia and China, the Right ring finger is Used instead of the left for this function.
Other functions like betrothal, romantic functions and chastity also put rings on this fingers.
3. THE MIDDLE FINGERS: because of the central position of the middle finger, it depicts power. A ring on this finger announces responsibility and strength. the right middle finger is open to interpretation when it comes to wearing a ring. You can choose your own symbolism for a ring on this prominent finger.
4. THE INDEX FINGER: a ring on the index finger is sure to be announced and here is where most folks want to put their expensive rings. This might not significantly mean anything but class. The right index fingers however signifies marriage in some cultures. A ring in the right index means marriage in the Jewish culture.
5. THE THUMB FINGER: for women, wearing a ring on this finger may simply be for fashion purposes but Men choosing to wear rings on the thumb symbolize one of these two in most societies.
The first is power and influence, and rings reflect that by being broad or bulky.
The second symbolization is interaction and friendship, as in “thumbs up.” If a man is given a ring as a gift by a loved one, unless it’s meant to represent engagement or marriage, they tend to wear it on either thumb.
This is very popular in our Nigerian society today also as most young men wear rings on their thumb fingers and this is becoming a trend. It is even occultic to some because those rings are usually masked or skulled rings. While some wear to increase their social pressense and circle, others wear innocently. Know why you wear this and whether you will continue just so you’re not confused for what you actually are not.
i hope this was helpful in a way, if it was then like, share and drop your comments on the comment section. Thanks.
Now you know what it means to have a ring to any finger.