PROBING AGYA KWABENA’S
INTERVIEW WITH CHAIRMAN OMANE WAADE3 ON 3OTH JULY 2021, FRIDAY UTV LATE NEWS.
TO KNOW IF AGYA KWABENA, MY BEST FRIEND, WAS RIGHT TO HAVE ASKED OMANE WAADE3 TO ELABORATE THE PROJECTS GHANA GOVERNMENT HAS ACHIEVED FROM LOANS IT HAS TAKEN
AUGUST 1ST, 2021
Yes, as part of the oversight responsibilities journalists exhibit over the government by making sure that the government makes judicious use of the state funds which encompasses loans, grants, tax revenue, consolidated funds and the bulk of the fiscal appropriations, no Journalist including Agya Kwabena of UTV could be faulted for probing in that respect.
However, what is most important is how the Journalist carries on his bid to finding facts about the government’s achievements regarding the utilisation of State funds as aforementioned. In this perspective two questions are pertinent:
1) did the Journalist attach due diligence in sourcing for information that is did the Journalist source the information from the appropriate quarters, office or officer or person who is responsible for releasing such information?
2) did the Journalist specify and categorise the area of his interest that demands spontaneous response or generalise his interest about the Government’s achievements?
3) did the Journalist prompt the interviewee during his background preparation for the interview that the interview would be centred on loans the government has taken for project A, B or C and that prepare to give account on that or the interviewee was ambushed to answer any question?
As happened during Agya KWABENA and OMANE Wade3’s interview, what I am probing to know from Agya Kwabena:
(1) If the government of Ghana has taken loans as Agya Kwabena quoted which is factual as declared by the Financial Minister for project A, B, or C, is Omane Wade3 the rightful person or source to give account on the said loans and projects?
2) did Agya Kwabena prompt Omane Wade3 on the background to come and give accounts on a specific loan as to whether the purpose has been accomplished or Agya Kwabena wanted CHAIRMAN Omane Wade3 to give account on the bulk of loans and achievements of Akuffo Addo/NPP GOVERNMENT in 4years 8 Months within 2 minutes as Agya Kwabena allocated to Wade3?
If none of the above quoted principles for effective interview was satisfied by Agya Kwabena then Agya Kwabena was not fair with Omane Wade3 for pushing him to answer questions he Omane Wade3 did not prepare to respond to even if Wade3 could provide answers, since he was not planned or prepared for such questions he could decline providing facts and figures to avoid mistakes because himself, his party and the government has a reputation to protect.
On the other hand if Omane Wade3 was briefed on the background as aforementioned by Agya Kwabena then NPP leadership must do total overhauling of their communicators for effective communication sake.
TO MY COLLEAGUE JOURNALISTS
In exhibiting professionalism to forestore the prestige of the business of Journalissm, be specific in your findings and hover your questions around your specification when probing the government.
Know which area you are probing and what facts are you finding, Is it 1D1F, ZDF, PFJ, Roads construction, COVID 19 fight or which sector? What do you want to establish? Is it about loans and the purpose for the loan? If it is about Roads, which road because no single loan could be earmarked for all roads in Ghana? State categorically Which road, is it Nkawie to Bibiani or sandema to Bunpruguyooyoo road?
What is your problem?
2) Having defined your problem, contact the appropriate office or officer to provide facts and figures on what you are seeking for never pose yourself as a propagandist. Also, never ambush questions just to frustrate your interviewee plan your interviews appropriately and professionally for effective and successful end.